Saturday, February 7, 2009

Krispy Kreme Challenge

Today was the 6th-annual (2nd for the Martin family) Krispy Kreme Challenge. It is a race held on NC State's campus in Raleigh, and travels 2 miles to a local Krispy Kreme, where participants must gobble down a dozen donuts as fast as possible, and then run the 2 miles back. If you complete the event in under an hour, you are labeled a success in life.

Last year I vividly remember the race. Well, at least the first half. After eating the donuts, I slipped into an altered state of conciousness and blacked-out through the run back. It all took about forty minutes. When I finished, I promptly felt the need to vomit (though I held it back at first) and instructed Christine if I ever tried to compete again, punch me in the face.

Obviously that advice was not heeded, and not only did I compete this year, but Christine and Faith were active participants as well.

Out of the 5,000 participants, I believe my time of 34:30 put me in roughly the top 20 or 30, which was exciting. Best of all, the early finish allowed me to be fully rested when Christine and Faith crossed the finish line a few minutes later. Christine was obviously the picture of perfect Fitness Queen, but you should have seen Faith. What began with Faith being bundled in a blanket with hat and glove, concluded with a messy-haired (no hat), 1.5 year-old munchkin with donut all over her face and a delighted smile.

After a much more pleasant experience this year, I am wondering if the whole family will fly back next year for some more fun.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like so much fun! I was enjoying reading about this even on Martin Blessings, and was so glad to hear your gave an update on the race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you might have an entourage of family members join you!

    ReplyDelete